CCA improves the living conditions and future prospects of the most vulnerable children in Africa
We have four programmes:
- Scholarships for vulnerable children
- Medical care for disabled children
- Girls shelter and safety
- Sustainable income
To achieve our goals, we work together with local partners in Afrika. We are convinced that development and change is most effective when it comes from people in the community. Our local partners are changemakers and they know the language, culture, society and challenges in their community. With the right type of support, they can address these challenges and find effective ways to lift themselves out of poverty and thrive.
Our executive director is on the ground in Africa to mentor, advice and monitor our local partners. Our four board members visit the programme areas to conduct financial audits, provide technical guidance and monitor the beneficiaries.
The way we work is characterized by the following key principles:
- Holistic vision: our vision goes beyond education. We also provide food, protection, a safe place to sleep, healthcare and spiritual and psychosocial support. We consider the child and his or her family and community.
- Sustainability: we do not take over the ultimate responsibility for the children we support. We sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the parents and caretakers, stipulating the tasks and responsibilities of all parties. Parents and caretakers sit together with our local partners and agree to a financial contribution. Students sponsored in tertiary education also sign an MoU with CCA and our local partners. After completion of their education, they begin to sponsor a new student to join primary school, etc.
- Non-discrimination: we select the beneficiaries based on a serious and objective screening, whereby we don’t discriminate based on religion, ethnicity, gender, etc. Objectivity and transparency towards the local community are very important. Everyone should be able to understand why these specific children were selected for sponsorship.
- Capacity development: we work together with local partners on a daily basis. They know the local language, society and culture. We mentor and help them to become independent and professional partners, with a strong focus on children and youth.
- No overhead costs: 100% of the donations are spent in Africa. We don’t pay salaries to board members or pay rent for an office in the Netherlands. Our local partners are allowed to use max. 20% of the money for transport, office requirements and salaries. We enter into strict agreements with our local partners and perform regular audits.